Ages: Big Kid Scientists
Science Book Connection: Oil Spill! by Melvin Burger
Materials to Set up the Exploration: Mom Scientists first need to prepare the oil for this exploration by mixing 1 tsp of powdered black tempera paint and 4 cups of vegetable oil. Simulated oil is being used because black oil would be harmful to kid scientists.
- Newspaper to cover work surface
- 3 disposable pie plates
- 3 rocks
- 3 leafy carrot tops, celery tops, or weeds
- Pipe cleaner
Procedure to Set up the Exploration:
- Cover your work area with newspaper
- Set up the oil spill models
- Put a rock in each pie plate to represent the shore line
- Put a leafy plant in each pie plate to represent aquatic plants
- Model animals out of the pipe cleaners to represent aquatic animals, place one in each pie plate
- Fill each pie plate about half full of water
- Add 1/8 cup of simulated oil to each pan
Materials for the Exploration: plastic cups, plastic spoons & forks, yarn, nylon stocking, cotton balls, coffee filter, sand, paper towel...other materials that may aid in oil clean up
Procedure for the Exploration:
- Your job is to find out which material will remove the most oil from the oil spill model
- Select a material to test in each oil spill model
- Determine a strategy for comparing removed oil from each system
- Attempt to remove oil from each system
- What was the effect of the oil spill on the model environment?
- Which material was best for cleaning up the oil spill? What is your evidence?